Sunday, April 24, 2011

Una Pausa

I've spent the past week back in the U.S. with just a few more days to go. It's been great. The first leg was in DC, where I got to spend time with Mike and the dogs, visit with friends and clients and get lots of massages. Like 3 of them. My body doesn't like stress and when it feels particularly under the gun (like when you're opening a restaurant) it manifests into physical pain. I was (literally) aching for my therapists at home and, fortunately for me, they were all available for sessions when I arrived.

Whew. With my body under control (and soft and mushy), I spent the rest of the time cuddling Sam and Stella, lunching and dinnering with good friends and shopping. I've got a restaurant to buy for (and a weight limit to adhere to with the airline), so shopping was slow and selective. I cleaned out a lot of stuff from my DC kitchen as well (Mike never used the pasta machine anyway) and am almost ready to schlep it all back to Cusco.

And then I headed up to Connecticut to be with my mom. It's been a fun trip -- I tried out some new recipes in her awesome kitchen, watched a fair amount of TV and just slept. I had fully intended to make it to NYC for a day or two but am so relaxed and comfortable here in CT that I just don't think I have the energy to make it there. Next time.

Being back in the U.S. gets less and less strange each visit. I felt like a fish out of water the last time and couldn't wait to get back to Cusco. And while I'm still eager to get back to Peru on this trip, too, I'm a little more accustomed to being here again. I like having endless minutes on my cell phone and a Starbucks or Target just a few blocks away -- at least for a little while. And while I love my friends down in Peru, there's something to say about being around the people who've known you as long as my stateside friends have.

And then there was Gabs! She lives in Maryland and we got to spend an entire afternoon together last week (and for good measure, we ran into each other again by accident a few days later -- of course). It was wonderful. Lunch, shopping, walking around and catching up. I needed that. Big Time. I knew I was missing her, but I just couldn't believe how much until I saw her. If only I could get her to come back to Peru...

Being back in Connecticut has also got me doing something I never thought I'd do: consider moving back here. I love Peru but I know I'm not going to live there forever. I've got at least another year there -- and if the restaurant goes well, maybe longer -- but I think I will eventually feel the urge to live stateside again. And while I also love DC, it might be good to start fresh somewhere -- and be close to my mom, NYC and (close enough to) the dogs in DC. New Haven might be just the place...

Heading off to my last massage of the trip! If anyone needs an AMAZING therapist up here in Connecticut, shoot me an email -- this woman is fantastic -- and I'll give you her info.

No comments:

Post a Comment